Friday, June 19, 2009

'Ello, gov'ner!

...long blogging pause...

Yes, a lot has changed in the past couple weeks. I subletted my apartment, packed up all my things, and hopped the pond with 4 suitcases in tow for what will likely be about 3 months, but may be longer if I find some kind of work.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm back in London.

It feels quite natural to be living here again and sort of like I never left, although I'm still feeling a bit culture-shocked for the time being. I have had no internet and am here in the back of a sad-looking Wetherspoon's (a chain of pubs in the UK known for low prices but also for a rather trashy clientelle) off Stoke Newington High Street, near the room I have rented for the summer. Its with a bunch of randoms (a Swedish-Columbian couple and a British guy who I have yet to meet) but its fine so far. It smells a bit funny and there is no living room but we have a nice little garden and my rent has been halved from what it was in Brooklyn so it can't be all bad. The neighborhood I'm living in, according to the map, is known as "Shacklewell" but I believe it is lumped in as part of Dalston, what I figure it kind of the "Bushwick" of London, i.e. kind of underdeveloped but lots of people my age living here and lots of house parties and what not. Its taking some getting used to, especially because last time I lived in London I had a really central apartment in a posh neighborhood. But its ok because most of my friends live within walking distance, which is a nice change from how London used to be! I am looking into getting a bicycle once my bank account is out of the red so I think that should make my life complete.

Orientation for my program at London College of Fashion starts on Monday. It is very weird to think that I am a student again! Hoping not to be the oldest one there.

More once I get internets!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wowow, very cool! Good luck at the london college of fashion!